Tuesday, July 28, 2026


From:  Greg Howard

It’s my fairly blunt assessment of our culture at this particular time in history.


Some Rays of the Sun

 

 

It’s been a long time since I’ve sat and absorbed,

Some rays of the late afternoon sun.

It’s been a long time since I’ve realized friend,

That the trees, and I, are as one.

 

We’re part of the web that covers our globe,

Our eyes are to see what is there,

We’re part of the net that can help those who fall,

From suffering alone in despair.

 

We’re part of the web that allows the trees

To be poisoned and leveled and burned,

We’re part of the web that cares for its young,

We’re part of the herd to be turned.

 

With a heart that hears sobs, when they come in all forms,

We’re part of the body that bleeds,

We’re eyes for to see, we’re ears for to hear,

We’re minds that can recognize need.

 

There is need for some change, there is time to repent,

We are hastening friend on a path,

That leads to a place where poison abounds,

Where nature recoils, with some wrath.

 

It’s hard not to see, if you open your eyes

And those blinders take off for a view,

That the planet is reeling, the people are sick,

The power is vested in few.

 

The small are down-trodden, the stroke of a pen,

A word over golf with a few,

A contract is cancelled, a paycheck is gone,

A future looks bleak.  Is that you?

 

Can you look to a future that’s all bright and clean?

Can you look ahead knowing all’s well?

Can you see heaven here, on earth, in our time?

Or does it look more like a hell?

 

When people are left without paycheck or job,

If promises broken again,

If arrogance tramples decent work and respect,

The final result, is some pain.

 

Be it trees that get spots from the acid that falls,

Be it teachers or nurses or brains,

That trade as commodities, feed the machine,

Build skyscrapers, rockets and trains.

 

As I sat and absorbed a few rays of the sun,

As I pondered on life for a while,

I thought again friend, of the ones I could help,

My face, once again, wore a smile.